Monday, January 7, 2013

Using Reference Text To Label Two Station Values for a Manhole

Within Civil 3D labeling functionality is a tool called reference text.  Reference text allows the user to label multiple objects at once, or allows us to label more than one type of object at the same time.  Examples of this would be labeling two surfaces at once, or adding an elevation to a station offset label.  The example that I'm going to illustrate here is labeling a manhole at the intersection of two roads that displays both station values.
                                                                            
            
 

As you can see from the screen capture above, once you select reference text from the label style composer, you will be given an option to choose what type of object you would like to make reference text for.  In my example, I will be choosing alignment.


In the capture above, you can see that I have added a reference text component called reference text.1.  I will rename this to something logical like second alignment station.  From this point on, we create the component like we normally would, and anchor the label.  In my label, you can see that I have anchored the label to the outgoing pipes, with it being displayed as ???.



Now that I have chosen the label that I created and selected the manhole, you notice that I have a pick box and some instructions on the command line asking me to select the second alignment.  I can now pick the appropriate alignment, or right click and I will be given the option to choose the alignment from the list.


Once I have chosen the appropriate alignment, you should see the question marks change to a station and offset value like the one seen below.


It is important to note that reference text component allows the user to change from one alignment to another.  If you look at the label in the AutoCAD properties box, you will note the reference text option at the top.


From within here, the user can select different alignments or components depending on the object created in the label.  If you hit the green box, you will be given the option to again select another alignment  .A great example where this can be utilized is when labeling a proposed surface. How often do we build multiple proposed surfaces to give the client various options of how the site can be graded.  A typical surface label is tied to the surface that we select when labeling, whereas a reference text label allows the user to use the same label, but change the surface it is getting the values from.


As you can see from the example label I created, the value of the reference text allows us to do multiple  labels within one label, or change randomly from object to object.

No comments:

Post a Comment